Position title: Professor
Oncogenes and suppressor genes in mammary carcinogenesis
- 506c McArdle
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison (1977), Postdoctoral Research: Argonne National Laboratories, Illinois
- Research Interests
- Oncogenes and suppressor genes in mammary carcinogenesis
- Research Fields
- Cancer Genetics, Human and Mammalian, Genomics
Our laboratory focus is in breast cancer research, including both basic and translational projects. Our three major projects are:
1. Breast cancer genetics: Initially, using animal models we are specifically looking for genes that prevent breast cancer. Once identified, these genes will provide a better understanding of the role of modifier genes in breast cancer risk and also provide anticancer drug development targets.
2. Oncogenes, Ras signaling: We are approaching two questions in the area of carcinogenesis — How do H-Ras and K-Ras differ in their signaling pathways? Which of these pathways lead to organ specific carcinogenesis?
3. Breast cancer chemoprevention and therapy: Our laboratory is developing a novel class of anticancer drugs, the monoterpenes. They selectively induce apoptosis and inhibit proliferation in cancer cells. We are seeking the molecular basis of this important selectivity by investigating the effects of these drugs on cell cycle associated protein and signaling pathways associated with cytostasis and apoptosis. Additionally, we are performing studies with other potential hemopreventive agents, as well as identifying surrogate biomarkers for breast cancer risk.
Search PubMed for more publications by Michael Gould
Zan Y, Haag JD, Chen KS, Shepel LA, Wigington D, Wang YR, Hu R, Lopez-Guajardo CC, Brose HL, Porter KI, Leonard RA, Hitt AA, Schommer SL, Elegbede AF, Gould MN. 2003. Production of knockout rats using ENU mutagenesis and a yeast-based screening assay. Nat Biotechnol 21(6):645-51.
Zan, Y., Haag, J.D., Chen, K.S., Shepel, L.A., Wigington, D., Wang, Y.R., Hu, R., Lopez-Guajardo, C.C., Brose, H.L., Porter, K.I., Leonard, R.A., Hitt, A.A., Schommer, S.L., Elegbede, A.F. and Gould, M.N. 2003. Production of knockout rats using ENU mutagenesis and a yeast-based screening assay. Nature Biotechnology 21:645-651 and comment 21:625-627.
Haag, J.D., Shepel, L.A., Kolman, B.D., Monson, D.M., Benton, M.E., Watts, K.T., Waller, J.L., Lopez-Guajardo, C.C., Samuelson, D.J. and Gould, M.N. 2003. Congenic rats reveal three independent Copenhagen alleles within the Mcs1 QTL that confer resistance to mammary cancer. Cancer Research 63:5808-5812.
Watson, P.A., Kim, K., Chen, K.S. and Gould, M.N. 2002. Androgen-dependent mammary carcinogenesis in rats transgenic for the Neu proto-oncogene. Cancer Cell 2:67-79.
Kim, K., Lindstrom, M.J. and Gould, M.N. 2002. Regions of H- and K-ras that provide organ specificity/potency in mammary cancer induction. Cancer Research 62:1241-1245.